Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Eight Second Ride


Being the Jake Owen fans that we are, we had to respond to this laugh-worthy review of his newest single, "Eight Second Ride."

Let's get this out of the way: This is by no means Jake's best song. In fact, of all his singles, it's probably his worst. It was a sleeper hit on his debut album, Startin' with Me, that fans requested as a single, but never got. So, it was re-released on Easy Does It, with plans of being a single.

The problem with the Easy Does It version is its restyling. Aside from minor lyrical changes, the version on Easy Does It seems to lose some of its original musical edge. The guitars and drums fade to the background for this version, whereas they pound through the speakers on Startin' With Me. Whoever decided to remix 8SR managed to take a fun, rocking song and make it a weak, mediocre ego-piece.

As for saying the song is supposed to be "realistic:" Anyone who has listened to Jake's music, has seen a Jake show, etc., knows that this song is blazingly tongue-in-cheek. It was written long before he had his big break, when he was barely in his 20s. With a male buddy, he decided to write a song about girls and big trucks. We think even Jake knows the likelihood of getting a woman to bed down with him on a tailgate is unlikely. (Hey, metal is cold and uncomfortable! Stay in the cab at least.)

It seems that some people don't like Jake because he's attractive. Evidently country music is meant to be "ugly," which, frankly, is something lost on us. All the posturing about his looks masks simple jealousy. For someone as talented as Jake, it's a shame that people are going to misjudge him because he happens to be good-looking and has written a song that is not "high art." Look back at singles like "Startin' With Me" and "Don't Think I Can't Love You" if you need a reminder of exactly what this Florida boy can do.

4 comments:

  1. Exactly who the HELL wrote this?? Surely you haven't Jake where the other songs he's written have meaning....it's suppose to be a concert song to get the crowd going and it does that at every Jake show I've been to!=)

    PS..could you write a song like that in college??

    ReplyDelete
  2. To jakeowenfan1: We posted this comment even though we weren't really sure who you were upset with. Us, or the writers of the review we linked? In case you missed it, we actually are in favor of 8SR, but still don't think it's one of Jake's best. You are very right that 8SR is a great concert song, but the Easy Does It version just doesn't cut it the way the original does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I know you are gonna jump down my throught for doing this and probably give me what for the next time I see you... but You know me and I can't help but do this. When ESR was put on the CD no one was saying that it would be a single at any point the record people let him do it becuase the fan response to it was so great. After MANY MANY polls with EDI and TM where people were "writing in" ESR the label decided to release it which was a major suprise to 90% of the "Jake" World. Becuase we had been repeatedlly told that it would never hit radio. Yes the song was toned down which I don't like eiather but I have heard rumors that when it is finally realeased to all stations that it will be the pumped up one. (it's only a rumor I have heard). Personally as a song that he wrote when he was wrote in his late teens as he says in the show ("I wrote this song ten years ago") I think it's great.
    As far as why the song was wrote... it was partly picking on someone who used to tell him when he would get into their truck to "watch the cup he had spit his dip into" Like most of Jakes songs they make so much more since if you know the full story behinde them. I think it's high time that he release a up beat party song. he has had three slow songs since YEEHAW and with the reaction that this one gets at shows I truley believe that this one can go futher than DTICLY becuase a lot of country fans want a song that they can dance to...
    I realize you are not saying you are opposed to the song but by saying that it's your least fav. it makes it sound as if you didn't want him to release it. The fact that you are in favor of the song is covered up with all the negitive comments wheither about the song or the article.
    Go ahead and correct my spelling and grammer (I know you have been doing it mentally while reading) and say what you want but you knew that I would have something to say this being about Jake:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the entire blog.

    I am huge Jake fan, absolutely love both CD's. As much as I LOVE 8SR, I was very saddened to see it take a slot on his new album. "She Won't Be Lonely," "Love Ya Love Ya Love Ya," and "Somewhere in the Middle" are just a few of the songs I rather have seen on the album.

    I just really hope it pays off and goes #1.

    ReplyDelete